NZ Premiership Report: Wellington Phoenix Reserves 2 – 5 Team Wellington


The Game:

The Wellington derby in the ISPS Handa Premiership between the Wellington Phoenix Reserves and Team Wellington ended in a 5-2 win for Team Wellington.

It was a deserved win from the defending champions who dominated from around the half hour mark, despite a good start from the Nix with Logan Rogerson opening the scoring, and some quality football with good attempts at goal.

The Goals:

Logan Rogerson (Nix, 14th minute) A loose ball was put into Team Wellington’s own box, and Rogerson showed a great burst of pace to grab the ball and slide it past Team Wellington goal keeper Scott Basalaj.

Andy Bevin (Team Welly, 22nd minute) Tom Jackson launched a long throw into the box, which the Nix defense couldn’t clear, and Bevin tucked it home.

Tom Jackson (Team Welly, 37th minute) After Nix keeper Oliver Sail did well to save Joel Steven’s shot, Andy Bevin picked up the rebound and crossed it in for Tom Jackson to make it 2-1.

Joel Stevens (Team Welly 55th minute) Stevens managed to get the ball, and despite being almost parallel to the post, from the tightest angle ever, he squeezed it off the post and past Sail for the goal.

Agnus Kilkolly (Team Welly, 80th minute) Ryan Lowry was deemed to have used his arm to block a shot, leaving Team Wellington with a penalty. While, Angus Kilkolly’s initial shot was saved by Sail onto the crossbar, the rebound fell kindly to Kilkolly, who tapped in the follow up.

Logan Rogerson (Nix, 82nd minute) Just two minutes later, the Reserves were given their own penalty when Justin Gulley brought down Rogerson in the box. Rogerson made it look so easy with a solid strike from the spot.

Neil Hailemairam (Team Welly, 94th minute) Deep into injury time, Kilkolly sent the ball into the area for a tap in from Hailemariam to put the icing on the cake for Team Wellington.

The “Oh so close!”:

It could have been so different had the ball just been a few millimeters to the left when Rogerson, in the 17th minute, went one on one with Basalaj. While Rogerson beat him, the ball bounced off the post. The score would have been 2-0 to the Reserves if this had happened, and could have made for a very different match.

The star:

Logan Rogerson: Despite a disappointing scoreline for the Reserves, Rogerson was a bright spot for the WeeNix. He was a constant attacking threat, making several runs into the area, scoring two goals, and deserving a third when the ball hit the post.

Second place: Oliver Sail. It’s not often a ‘keeper is commended when conceding five, but Sail made two or three goal-saving interventions, and was desperately unlucky with at least two of the goals.

The comments:

Sarpreet Singh, Phoenix player: “It was a tough game, but they deserved to win today. We need to work on our set piece defending, as about two or three of their goals were from set pieces. We need to be tighter on those, as that’s what wins matches at the end of the day, as well as taking our chances at the other end.”

Chris Greenacre, Phoenix Reserves coach: “Team Wellington dominated, and when we missed a brilliant opportunity, when Logan Rogerson hit the post, that was a turning point in the game. We didn’t play well in the first half, and we were physically dominated as well. We improved massively in the second half, and I think it is just that final ingredient, that final ball, that let us down. We were disappointed with the goals that we gave away from set pieces, that we should do better with. Going forward, that’s our goal. Fair play to Team Wellington, we wish them all the best for the rest of the season, and we’ll look to improve next week.”

The bad boys:

Yellow cards:

For the Nix, Luke Tongue, Sarpreet Singh, Logan Rogerson, Sam Sutton

For Team Welly, Mario Ilich, Angus Kilkolly,

Red Cards: Nil

The Future:

The Wellington Phoenix Reserves will be playing Waitakere United at the David Farrington Park, 2pm, Sunday 5 November.