Football fans around the world will be able to purchase tickets for the vast majority of regular season matches throughout the Hyundai A-League 2014/15 Season from 9am (AEST) today.
In a strong indication of the demand for premium matches, tickets for Sydney FC’s opening match against Melbourne City FC have been on sale since 5 September with over 12,000 tickets already snapped up, likewise tickets to the Sydney Derby in Round 2 with sales to members of both clubs already reaching 20,000 tickets.
Football Federation Australia (FFA) also announced some significant updates to the Hyundai A-League 2014/15 Season draw which includes moving the Hyundai A-League 2015 Grand Final to Sunday 17 May 2015, following recent confirmation from the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) of changes to next year’s AFC Champions League competition calendar.
Head of Hyundai A-League Damien de Bohun explained that the main reason for these changes were to assist the clubs and protect the integrity of the Hyundai A-League competition.
“We were officially advised by the AFC earlier this week that their competitions calendar had changed from what we had been previously informed,” said de Bohun.
“The Round of 16 matches in the AFC Champions League 2015 will now again be played on a home & away basis, as opposed to the one-off matches which were communicated in the AFC’s original schedule. This significantly impacts the Hyundai A-League in and around the start of the Finals Series and the 2014/15 Season draw which we announced in June.
“As we have seen with the tremendous run of Western Sydney Wanderers in the AFC Champions League this year, the updates to the draw we have made today will give the Hyundai A-League clubs competing in the AFC Champions League 2015 the best opportunity to succeed in that important competition, while also protecting the integrity of the Hyundai A-League 2015 Finals Series. Whilst we would obviously prefer not to make these changes at this stage, this is the reality of the global nature of football – which is also one of the great strengths of our game”.
“As a result of the changes, matches that were originally listed in the “floating” Round 9 will be consolidated into a new Round 27 with the naming of the rounds to be amended accordingly.
The Hyundai A-League 2015 Finals Series will now start on the weekend of 1-3 May with the Hyundai A-League 2015 Grand Final now scheduled for Sunday 17 May 2015.
“I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Hyundai A-League clubs and venue operators for their assistance in confirming these updates in such a short period of time,”
“Now that the Hyundai A-League 2014/15 Season draw has been confirmed all football fans can unite in excitement about the start of the competition,” concluded de Bohun.
Round 27 of the Hyundai A-League 2014/15 Season will now be scheduled as such:
|Date||Home||Away||Venue||Time (local)||Time (AEST)|
|Fri 24 April 2015||Brisbane Roar FC||Newcastle Jets||Suncorp Stadium||7.40pm||7.40pm|
|Sat 25 April 2015||Western Sydney Wanderers||Perth Glory||Pirtek Stadium||5.00pm||5.00pm|
|Sat 25 April 2015||Adelaide United||Melbourne City||Coopers Stadium||7.00pm||7.30pm|
|Sun 26 April 2015||Wellington Phoenix||Sydney FC||Westpac Stadium||5.00pm||3.00pm|
|Sun 26 April 2015||Melbourne Victory||Central Coast Mariners||AAMI Park||5.00pm||5.00pm|
In addition, the following updates to the Hyundai A-League 2014/15 Season draw were also made:
- The kick off times for Friday night matches that were scheduled for 7:30pm (AEST/AEDT) will now kick-off at 7:40pm (AEST/AEDT)
- The Round 7 fixture between Perth Glory and Wellington Phoenix at nib Stadium will move from 6:30pm local (9:30 AEDT) on Saturday 22 November to 6:45pm local (9:45 AEDT) on Friday 21 November
- The Round 9 fixture between Central Coast Mariners and Melbourne Victory on Friday, 5 December 2014 will be played at North Sydney Oval (kick-off 7:40pm AEDT)
- The Round 10 fixture between Wellington Phoenix and Central Coast Mariners on Saturday 13, December 2014 will now be played at Eden Park, Auckland NZ (kick-off 5:00pm local (3:00pm AEDT))
- The Round 15 fixture between Brisbane Roar FC and Wellington Phoenix will now be played on Monday 2 February at Suncorp Stadium (Kick-off 7:00 pm local (8:00 pm AEDT))
- The Round 16 fixture between Central Coast Mariners and Adelaide United on Saturday, 7 February 2015 will be played at Brookvale Oval (kick-off 5:00pm AEDT)
- The venue for the Round 16 fixture between the Western Sydney Wanderers FC and Wellington Phoenix will be confirmed at a later date
- Wellington Phoenix’s Round 17, 18 & 20 home fixtures against Melbourne City FC, Newcastle Jets and Adelaide United respectively will be played at Brendan Foot Kia Hutt Recreational Ground, Lower Hutt, Wellington, New Zealand
Please visit www.a-league.com.au for the updated 2014/15 Hyundai A-League Season Draw.